Be popular; defy gravity

Saturday, February 19, 2011

To change GA positions or not to change?

It's the time of year when the first year graduate assistants of the University of San Diego have to decide whether or not they want to stay in their current position for the following year.  This means (scary!!!) that we have to consider being a second year graduate assistant and what we have (or have not) gotten out of our roles up until this point.  This phenomenon will be studied next year by a great friend and colleague of mine, @StephLLynch for her action research project, and she's asked me to take notes of my experience so I can aid her in research when the time comes.
This is the beginning of my thoughts, feelings, ideas, etc.  I know that while I have gotten a lot out of my role at the Center for Health and Wellness Promotion, that I was not in my 'home.'  Health is important to me, but in this role I am missing out on a lot of Student Affair-sy things that are happening because my department is not as well connected.  I have been honest with my supervisor from the start so she was not surprised when I told her that I would be pursuing other options for my second year.  She, nicely enough, is encouraging me to look for a new experience, her advice being, "It's not often that you can change positions easily and the more experience you can get now, the better."  I think I am on that page, as well.
I decided to ask some other supervisors, peers and mentors their opinions on position changing to just make sure that I was making the best decision in an attempt to change.  Here is a mix of their responses to my question:

~It's better to get depth than breadth.
~It's better to get breadth than depth.
~I would prefer not to have train someone each year.
~In a selfish way I want my GA to stay, but I understand that it's better for the student to find that fit.  I know if I had a student who didn't fit well into the role, I would want him/her to have the option to switch.
~I think it's important to get the experience now and not to get 'pigeonholed' into one position.
~I encourage my students to seek out new options and experiences.
~In other GA roles it makes sense, but not for the GA role I oversee.
~Do what feels best for you.

As you can see, I received a variety of feedback, which left me feeling confused.  I know people all have preferences, but at least try to be united in your response as a staff of GA supervisors.  As a soon-to-be second year student, I feel unnerved that I might not get a position for which I apply because that supervisor would prefer a student who will stay with him/her for two years.  I am looking for certain experiences, but I might not receive them if an incoming first year, who has similar experiences and skills to me, interviews for the position I want simply because it will make it easier for the supervisor not to lose me next year.  I know that as a supervisor you do have to makes sacrifices by having GAs because that means you do not get trained staff for too long, but if you're going to have GAs, be fair to them.
Of course, with that said, I know there are several members of the supervisory team who would love to have a GA for just one year in order to share knowledge with them and give them experience.  I've met with several supervisors who encourage that behavior, too.  It is a challenge, however, to interview with someone who I know would prefer an incoming first year to me.
Those who are changing roles (two of the four in the first year cohort) are encouraged to chose up to as many as five role interests for next year, with the fifth one being your current position.  I am interviewing for three positions: Assistant Community Director, Women's Center, Grad/Law Life.    I have decided that I want to pursue Residence Life, at least for several years following my graduation.  This is in part because that is where the hiring is, especially for entry level positions, and also because you get the most experience in 'everything' working in Res Life, which will transfer to other positions later in my career.  Getting the ACD position would be a great stepping stone, though none of the positions would be a let-down.
Interview day for the incoming first years is March 7th, so I am expected to be done with my interviews by then.  The supervisors do not make a decision until the end of March and we are hoping to find out where we are placed by the beginning of April.  It's a long way away, which is a challenge because if I do not get the ACD position, I need to find a new apartment.  It would be nice to find out sooner so I can start moving before the craziness that ensues towards the end of a semester of graduate school.
These are just some of the worries that are on my mind currently.  I am excited about the prospective change, however.  I enjoy mixing things up and getting new experiences, so I hope to find that with this role change.  I'm also looking forward to meeting the potential new Student Affairs grads at the interview day in hopes that it can start a bond that will bring them to campus in August for training with a positive attitude and an excitement for what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment