Be popular; defy gravity

Monday, November 8, 2010

This could be me...

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
David Sedaris
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorRally to Restore Sanity





Sometimes, I feel like the days get a little too long and there's nothing there to brighten them up.  That's why I read David Sedaris' books.  It's real life with a funny twist.  Well, not my real life, but his real life and situations that most people go through at some point.  And what's life if you can't laugh at a situation or two from time to time?  Boring, that's what life is without laughter.
My secret ambition, behind wanting to work in student affairs, is to write a New York Times Best Seller.  I think it's possible if I could just dedicated more than 40 minutes a week to it.  But, of course, life gets in the way and those things that are funny and would make a great story are actually my life and they're not funny because I'm going through it moment by moment, which is why I read David Sedaris' memoirs, essays and whatever else he throws my way.  He sees situations the way I hope to see them: humorous.  You know, the idea that life won't end due to this one tiny complication and one day we will all look back at this and laugh?  Yeah, I dream of that outlook for some things.  I could live that glamorous author lifestyle, if only I could think of something to write about.  And if only I could find time to write it.  But, alas, something always comes up.
So, since I can't manage to sit down and write for more than 40 minutes a week (every other week), cheers to David Sedaris for making a living out it and making me laugh at the same time.    We could all use a pick-me-up from time to time!

1 comment:

  1. I totally get this entry; it resonates deeply with me as someone working in higher ed who is a closet writer and who thinks of myself as sometimes funny. I adore David and his sister Amy too. My sister owns every crazy book she has ever written :0). I hope you will work to integrate the various sides of your personality and interests. There's a lot to you - how can you make all the pieces work together to create something new, innovative, and truly "Jamie" in its nature?

    ReplyDelete